I started a program recently called Re:Train. It’s a program based out of Mars Hill church in Seattle, which is now the biggest church in our States history. This is a master level program that will allow me to transfer 12 credits to a choice of 7 seminaries to finish out a Master Degree. There were a few reason why I wanted to do this program:
- If I’m going to learn, learn from people doing the stuff. (Mars Hill is the biggest church and has found a vein of growth in this region)
- I wanted to be ReTrained. (Re:Train stands for Resurgence Training, but can be taken the other way too)
- I want to plant a church or churches ( so I ought to learn as much as I can while I’m only 25)
As I’ve been in the program there are many things being taught to me, but I’m learning much more that’ll help me in life overall. I’ve decided to share a few of those things with you today.
1. I don’t know as much as I think I know.
- I’m around people that are smart. This is good for me because I often think that I’m the smartest person alive. This humbles me and makes me the learner and not always the teacher
2. Never act like you have the bible figured out.
- My last class was taught by a pastor who has a Ph.d. He’s still studying the bible and saying what he feels it’s saying. Too many young guys approach the bible like it can be figured out, but when I see this guy still wrestling with it it humbles me.
3. Churches that are big are intentional.
- When I first starting writing number 3 I said “church that are successful” But size isn’t the measure of success. But churches that are big like Mars Hill are VERY intentional. Everything from their language to the roads taken to work (specially Bill Clem) is about their mission. This showed me that a lot of things I do is for myself and not thinking about who I can lead to Jesus
4. Young guys are stupid
- I’ve always thought negatively of Mars Hill, specifically the leadership. But I found the leaders are taking stupid young guys and shaping them. Us young people are stupid and stubborn, and I thank Mars Hill for deciding they want them.
5. Discipleship is VERY important
- Jesus didn’t say go make converts, but disciples. I’m not going to get specially into what is a disciple (because that will cause a little controversy) but I’m learning that it’s important and many of us don’t do it at all.
6. It’s not about what you KNOW but what you do with it
- My best friend Matt L is always telling me this (because I have propensity to study a lot) but it’s being reinforced through this program. They aren’t teaching us as seminary professor, but teaching us as practitioners so we can be the same. They make us do things that are practical so we can translate into the culture and reach souls.
So far I’m loving the program, and it’s helping me grow closer to Jesus. If you want to be a church planter or a good christian, and your church has nothing for you check it out.